Click for Seattle, Washington Forecast

Friday, June 24, 2005

Stardate 06/24/2005 (Sick Again/Book Survey)

Ok-So folks...I am home once again from work...sick...GRRRRRRRRR!!!
The sad/happy thing is today I can't veg on the couch like last time....

Why? Well-#1. They have picked today to trim the bushes and mow the lawn right outside our apartment #2. Scott is home from work too-He's working the Sunday shift (which I only found out when he woke up this morning, wandered into the living room, went to sit down and then screamed like a little girl because he did not know I was still at home and almost sat on my dying body reclining on the sofa!!!!!!!!) Now he wants to take me camping. Yeah-That will cure that migraine right up!

So I am stealing the meme from Katie's blog and using it to make today an interesting post.

...BOOK SURVEY...

1) Total number of books owned: About 500...About half of those are paper back novels. I have read ALL of them too! The other half is composed of scripts, books about theatre and miscellaneous reference books on subjects ranging from owning your own business to camping in Death Valley. I love reference books. I like to read little factoids about all kinds of subjects. It's nice to be able to make at least one intelligent comment during a conversation about quantum physics!

2) Last book bought:How To Be A Working Actor by Mari Lyn Henry & Lynne Rogers I am brushing up on the latest trends in resumes and head shots. Once Scott finds out which newspaper he's going to move to next I'll make my next move. I am going to send out packets to every theatre within an hours drive. I'm hoping to find a job this way??? I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try. At least they'll all know there's a new girl in town.

3) Last book read: Nightfall by Isaac Asimov & Robert Silverberg-Two of my favorite authors. It's a great Sci-Fi novel about a planet that lives in perpetual light (they have six suns.) Then one day an eclipse happens. The world is plunged into total darkness creating massive chaos and causing tremendous psychological damage. I read it in three days.

4) Five books that mean something:
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood-This story is chilling because you can almost imagine it happening any day now. I sometimes feel that even in these "modern times" women's rights are teetering on the edge. In fact, many women still to this day do not have civil rights. Ours could be wrenched away too. This book poses that what if.
Kingdoms of the Wall by Robert Silverberg- Traveling up "The Wall" a young man goes in search of answers from the gods. All he truly finds are more questions with answers best left unfound.
Animal Farm by George Orwell-The rise and fall of government as told, in fairy tale like style, by a group of farm animals. The old saying of "men are pigs" come to life.
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift- All the ills of society, religion and government told over by a traveling surgeon. Gulliver has the misfortune to be in a succession of ship wreaks which land him on islands of strange and fascinating people.
1984 by George Orwell- "Big Brother is watching you." A government, set in the future, gone very bad. Maybe. A commentary on our modern day government. Very likely. Read it and see a striking resemblance to our current events.
(Honorable Mention-Children's book that means something:
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien- Themes include environmental pollution, the over crowding population of mankind, governmental corruption and the evils of testing on lab animals! What a great children's book! And it's fun and easy to read!!)

5) Book character you would have a romantic rendezvous with: Lestat from Interview With the Vampire I know he's evil. I know he would try to kill me a drink my blood. He's such a great character though. As you read deeper into the Vampire Chronicles you find that he has so many layers as a man/vampire. Plus he's funny, rich, sexy and can make a girl immortal! What more do you need in a man?

6) Some people who have to reply to this: Well-I just hope someone does! It would be interesting to see what Adam "I read a book once a year" Eakins would have to say about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home