Click for Seattle, Washington Forecast

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Proud

Something rather odd happened to me tonight. Someone told me that they were very proud of me.

I know you are probably wondering why that is an occasion to blog. It’s a rare thing for me. That’s why.

My life thus far has been a series of failures with a few successes peppered throughout.

Good grades, good behavior and academic achievements were expected of me and no reason to offer praise. On the other hand failure was not an option and was punished most often by offering words of disappointment.

I can think back to only a few times when genuine praise was offered. I mean the kind given by someone who was not socially obligated to do so. Not that hollow kind of victory won by receiving the praise of those who offer it out like beads at Mardi Gras. I mean the heartfelt, real praise of someone who has seen your struggle and appreciates your achievement.

This has been a source of great frustration throughout my life…working hard, gaining that long sought after success and then not receiving recognition for it.

I know that it is said that hard work is it’s own reward. In some ways it has been. In others…well, sometimes I just want a pat on the back and someone to tell me I've done a good job. Is that too much to ask for?

Maybe it is but to me it's important.

Tonight was a special moment for me. Someone told me they were proud of me and they meant it.

Mostly, I'm here to write it down for my future self to read. That way when I do something worth while in the future I can look back and know that my hard work does mean something.

It makes me proud of myself for making others proud.

1 Comments:

Blogger dingobear said...

Good work, Rebecca.

;o)

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home